Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Art of Shutting Up

"Hypocrisy is the lubricant to society."

During my first day in fashion school, my professor Levinson Rodriguez quoted these words.  He asked us to remember them and later after the semester tell him if we agree or disagree.

I have a loose tongue. And I'm very opinionated. My ego and pride will not let me be defeated and there's a constant need to win every argument I get into.

What does any of it have to do with my blog? Being employed I am learning the art of shutting up. And not letting my temper get the best of me. Its not very professional to hear a co-worker going all Heneral Luna and flipping tables in anger. I think it was two "ay shet, putang ina" curses that woke me up. At that time I realized that it wasn't very nice to listen to. And put myself in the same position. I have cursed several times and never put myself in the position of the people around me listening.

Consider a client, arguing to have his way. You can be the best debater in the planet. You can win every argument there is. But at what expense? Honestly, I wouldn't mind losing an argument if it meant winning a client.

The phrase, "the customer is always right" holds some if not all truth to it. You wouldn't and shouldn't argue with the customer about anything. If the customer says the color yellow is too lonely for her. Offer a different color. Offer to make it into her favorite color even. If the customer says the soup is too salty, its salty. Its not as it should be. Its as the customer prefers it to be.

Strike a balance though because as an entrepreneur you have to know if your idea is worth pursuing if the client says it sucks but you feel in your gut that there's a gap in the market that you can fill, by all means go on and fill it.

Shut up when you need to, but don't be a push over. Strike the perfect balance between the two.

Xo,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment