Sunday, September 20, 2015

From a 9hr/day shift to 4hr/day shift

Hi again,

Please don't think I'm a lazy ass girl who is living large through my parents bank accounts and trust fund. Although I'm totally for parents who set up trust funds for their children. This is not the case. My parents are not politicians, they aren't in show business either. If you're Filipino you know that those are the top 2 groups that are wealthy in the country. You either have to have artista parents or politiko parents to be wealthy. Or you're Chinese.

We are not the Sys. I think anybody who knows me can say easy that I look more European than Chinese. Since I don't have Chinese businessmen, or show business personalities, or politicians for parents please don't say that I'm living off of their wealth.

Also please don't think I'm criticizing people who work more than 8 hours a day. Honestly I look up to them because I get easily tired and exhausted of what I do and people who are driven enough by need who can do it five times sometimes even six times a week should be someone who is admired not criticized.

I've tried that 9 hours a day shift before. And Lord knows it wasn't easy. You can get fuelled by money in the beginning but after a while you'll realize you're no longer alive and you've morphed into a workaholic zombie who functions on caffeine going from shift to shift until the weekend so you can sleep. I've grown all too familiar with this because i was maintaining a relationship (long distance) and studying at the same time. And boy this was no easy task. Especially when the guy you're with doesn't even know you're working. (I wanted to tell him, I did, but he kept saying "just focus on your studies.") What drove me was peer pressure and that need to earn money. Because when everyone you know starts rubbing it in your face that you're unemployed and early 20s, you really feel the need to start making cash so you can all shop designer clothes that you can't afford and drink expensive coffee and eat good food together while you talk about each other's weekend plans.

After getting my diploma in my 4.5 years in college, I immediately packed my office stuff, handed in my resignation, and went on a 3 month long vacation. (Don't worry I used the money I saved up for shopping to travel. Think Ferragamos converted into plane tickets.)

So, 3 months later I am now a Fashion student, still in between being broke and being well off. I work in a local bag company with a slightly famous designer. I make half of what I made when I was in a bigger firm where people are half ready to kill you when you don't meet what they need. I've transitioned from a 9 hour work day to a 4 hour work day with no requirement of days. I can come when I want.) and I've never felt as productive as I did before.

Knowing what needs to be done and being disciplined enough to get it done without having to be reminded and being forced to take on a 9 hour shift is something that I'm grateful for with my current job. It has taught me love of work (although in general I still think I'm not cut out for employment.) This job is flexible enough to meet my needs and still make sure the company didn't lose money by paying me a month's salary.

It's given me enough time to study, and work at the same time without feeling like i would die tomorrow because of exhaustion. It's giving me time to unwind when i feel too overwhelmed. And it's ensured that the quality of work I deliver is the best.

Working a 9 hour shift doesn't mean that you're working or doing more than a person who works 4 hours. I know a bunch of people who works double shifts getting paid for each minute but are not able to deliver the products or services that they are being paid for. Productivity's not about the hours.

Not everyone gets this opportunity at such young age. Maybe that is why I'm thankful for my job. Gratitude for my job makes me perform and do my best. Always deliver more than expected.

Xo,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment