Sunday, September 13, 2015

Failure and Growth

Fear is constant in our daily lives. In the morning while taking the public commute, I fear I'll get robbed. While in a cab, I fear that I'll be drugged and murdered and thrown into an abandoned building after being raped. At nights when it's raining, I fear being stranded alone in the cold. I fear for the "big one" that will end the country.

Fear is so constant it's probably there in everything you do. So for today I'd like to share my fear of forever being employed, and my fear of a failing start up.

I've always thought that employment is not for me. Maybe it's because my college has always drilled in our heads we should be brave enough to have a start up two years after college. I guess that's a good thing. While others are busy thinking about clothes and which latest gossip it is they heard over the weekend, I see possibilities and think of new ventures.

Coupled with my brain's constant churning of business concepts and possible ways to get out of the rat race (as Robert Kiyosaki calls it) is the constant fear of failing. What if the gap I identified in the market is not really there? And the problem I identified is not really relevant to the consumers?

This fear of failure is the reason I have my other fear, of forever being employed. Which is a great boost for me. It lets me think. If my fear of failure asks, what happens if I try and fail? My fear of being trapped in employment asks, what happens if you don't try?

It's a two end spectrum. I am young, and i can only hope I have learned enough from other people's mistakes and failures to not experience them.

But i guess failure really isn't something to be frightened of. It is a necessary step to learning and growth. How many days til I launch my start up? Honestly? Right now the equipment we ordered hasn't been delivered its supposed to come today though. If it comes today, I'm getting a ledger and raw materials i can test the product and try it in the market 15 days from now. If that goes well I'll launch it 15 days after trial week.

Cheers to the beginning of the week. Remember that you shouldn't feel bad that its Monday and that it's back to work. Work is a good thing. And we shouldn't dread it. It's time for a paradigm shift.

Xo,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment