Thursday, September 10, 2015

Compulsive Shopping and Fashion Classes

The thing about being a fashion student is that you get exposed to fashion industry a lot. Our class yesterday involved analyzing and observing the retail industry. And as my professor said, what better way to study the industry than be in it and participate.

So he asked all of us to channel our inner mademoiselle Coco and go to 3 brands that we are drawn to. These 3 brands must be brands that captures our brand and aesthetic.

Now the thing is when surrounded by people who are shopaholics, and inside a store where sales associates are trained to sell. There is a high chance that you will in fact, not leave the store without carrying a ribbon tied pastel colored box inside a beautiful paperbag, with a note of appreciation for spending so much money on clothes you probably don't need.

We visited six individual stores and two department stores. I left with two paperbags. It took all of my will power to put down an electronically pleated navy skirt (that I swear could easily match all of my whites, and blacks, and navys.) It took me a little less to let go of black and white ankle strap heels (which I have in flats, that I got while I was in college, of course my parents paid for it.)

You know how banks now offer forced savings? They deduct an amount every month from your savings account and transfer it to a secured account for saving and investing. This is a bank solution that they offer to make middle class (or young adults, or those who are between rich and broke) afford luxury items that they can't spot buy.

Now the thing is when you have that set up please please please do not withdraw it for a pair of Valentinos. No matter how much that product screams your name. Or no matter what the sales lady tells you. Or no matter how much discount she throws in. Let it rest there. And be invested. Let it grow. Nourish it by injecting more money. Those pumps will decrease in value but investments will keep you alive after 5 years.

It felt like I needed these purchases but after awhile, you'll realize that you don't need it and that these could have been properly invested somewhere else or saved for a rainy day. And unlike in the US you don't get refunds when you return in this country. So you have to be sure you'll be able to live with yourself if you splurge while on a budget.

Now I just have to ask myself always "do I need this?" And make sure I answer ccorrectly. Need to budget!

Xo,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment