Friday, March 4, 2016

Local Business Struggle

Today, I was faced with the reality that I've been choosing to ignore for years. I've been hearing about it but having never experienced it in my life I ignored it and gave zero care towards the issue.

The task was simple, obtain a certificate for a client to continue business with them. I read about the process online, and then called to verify. It seemed easy.


 First obstacle: Nationality/Race

I find it sad that people discriminate based on Nationality / Race. Living in the south and coming from Service Road/C-5 the nearest entrance I had towards the embassy was the one from Taguig. And so naturally I took this entrance. And my my my, the question the Filipino guard asked me was, "Foreigner or Filipino?" Naturally I said Filipino since I am. And after hearing this the guard told me there's an entrance for Filipinos and I couldn't bring a car in, I would have to get off. Park it outside. Wait in queue for a shuttle. Pay for the shuttle. Wait again to be entertained by a different set of guards before I can go to the embassy. I'm in my own country. And I'm being discriminated against. I feel so awful.

Second Obstacle: Ignorance

Whoever said ignorance is a bliss obviously didn't own a business. If you don't know what you're doing. And the people around you don't know what you're supposed to do you're in big trouble. There will be a lot of wasted resources.

Third Obstacle: Government Policies/ Red Tape/ Corruption

I had to see three different local offices. It was a waste of my time and money and gas. I was thinking I'll be done with everything today and I'll get the certificate on Monday. But no. One office will point you to the next. And the next will point you to another. And you'll wait and get charged and nothing would have happened. Unless you pay crocodiles in the system with turkey meat. When they're full and their bellies fat, probably something will happen.



This I think is why the low and middle class are discouraged everytime they want to try to start and engage in business or trade. All these steps and procedures that go around in circles until you're exhausted and spent. You haven't even started and your capital is gone trying to get the paperwork you need to begin.

Its funny because even the people inside the glass cubicle we call our government employees serving the people don't seem to know what they're doing. So take the experience of everyone around you and learn. I took down notes. So that I'm positive I won't need anything else the next time I see them.

Hope you're doing better. May your businesses grow and succeed.

Xo,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment